Tuesday, July 24, 2007


Although I feel that I'm doing even less than nothing over here and this is partly true, because of my IV. I always feel that it keeps me from doing active things. In the case of the swimming pool this is of course true, but when it concerns biking it is of course total rubbish. In the last case, the weather is to blame.

Last thursday, when the sun was shining bright and the sky as blue as the sea or just as blue as the sky can be on sunny days. The sun started the day with a little hesistation, hidden behind clouds, so I didn't pull on my bikini and sandals. A big mistake, so we (Gerben and me) learned later on. When we finally arrived at the beach (after some food shopping at the supermarket of course), the sky had cleared himself of all these clouds and it started to get HOT. Of course lots of people at the beach had expected it, so they were dressed in swim suits and were swimming and sunbading. It wasn't that bad after all, because I coudn't go swimming with my IV of course. But it was a pity to see other people doing so. Luckily, it wasn't that bad as it was in Greece before I left...

After some sun-enjoyment, some sticking to a part of the barbed wire (Gerben) and a short visit to the Haga, just to make sure that everything would be fine, we returned home, where we've lit the fire on a small throw-away-barbecue. In the last rays of light, we've enjoyed our dinner on my little terrace.

The next sunny day (wow, only 2 days later!!) we were at the house of Gerben's parents. They have a sailing boat, so we've spent almost the whole day on the water, after some good sleep.

Of course something was wrong with my medicinens (which always is). I hadn't checked my insuline well, so I was running out of it. A quick call to the doctor in Assen (the closest one to Beilen) and pharmacy proved that it doesn't have to be that much trouble as I have normally with my own pharmacy in the Hague... Only half an hour after the call, we could pick it up at the pharmacy. I didn't even have to drop in at the doctor's office.

The rest of the day was great, and so was the next day. Although sunshine interchanged quickly with heavy rainfalls a couple of times (it looked like we were in some tropical area, really!), we could sit outside for most of the times. A neighbour of Gerben's parents came by with pictures of Egypt, where her boyfriend lives, and after that we went to the vegetable garden that the parents of Gerben own. Here I've done some digging (potatoes) picking (beans) and pulling (carrots), which we ate partly that night and part of it we took home.

I really liked doing that and I have to say: it really is better than the food that comes from the supermarket!

No comments: